Since the last post, we've made good progress on our exterior finishing – the siding and trim. We are now officially at lock-up, which is important for two reasons. One, the house now has all its windows and doors installed, and when you step inside it actually feels like you're in something rather than surrounded by something. No drafts, no snow blowing into the window holes. It's starting to feel like a house! Two, lockup is one of Nelson Tiny Houses' payment plan milestones. It will be nice to have money coming in and not just going out. It's all pretty basic economics, but running a small business requires hard work that goes beyond carpentry skills.
Inside the house, we started pulling wire for electrical. Here again, there is a noticeable transformation from shell to house. Our walls are now decorated with neat runs of wire that will act as the nervous system and carry energy from place to place. We're bordering on philosophy here, we know, but it's exciting to see how each step in the process of building brings us closer to what right now is just an idea. And once the house is finished and is bringing joy and shelter to its occupant(s), that will be because of all those accumulated steps. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole, as they say. This is the same for any house, but with a tiny house these musings are concentrated and boiled down, sweet and satisfying.
But, back to the the nuts and bolts of it. One thing we'd like to focus on in this post is details. In particular, we have a window on the side of the house that was very nicely trimmed, but every time we looked at it, something wasn't quite right. We mulled it over and decided it had to do with proportions. The header trim, which runs along the top of the window, was too big compared to the sill, which is on the bottom of the window. It gave the impression of top-heaviness. We pulled off the battens below the window and installed an apron, which is the piece below the sill. We trimmed the battens to their new length and put everything back together again. With the visual “weight” of the window more balanced, everything about the installation felt better.
In another case, plans for this house didn't include an entry overhang. We had figured that the roof overhang would be enough to shield the door from inclement weather. However, after working on the front trim, we realized that the bottom of the sliding door was getting wet from the sleety snow we've been having. So, before it was too late, we installed a 2X6 ledger board above the door and two vertical runners alongside to catch future knee braces. You can see them in the photo behind Seth's ladder. Later, once the house is on site, we can easily add a small shed roof to this ledger to shelter the front door.
These details will go far to improve the look and function of the house, and even though we had to go back and re-do a bit of work in the case of the window, the benefit of paying attention to detail greatly outweighs the cost of dismissing it.
In the next few weeks we will be giving a sneak preview of our spring advertising campaign that we will launch locally in Nelson. Be sure to check back to see that!
Thanks for taking the time to read this week's entry. Feel free to comment on anything we're doing; we look forward to hearing from you.